Mrs. Putzke was a homeless woman who lived in a vacant hotel building with her children in the 1930s. The Beisswenger family took her in and she remained on their farm for 35 years. Her two daughters lived in the home as hired help and Mrs. Putzke lived in the farm sheds, peeling potatoes, topping vegetables, and preparing berries and produce. As poor as people were in the 1930s, many extended charity and generosity to people such as her.
The Archibald Mark Chisholm (1864-1933) and Lillian Cummings Chisholm house at 1832 East Second Street was given to the Duluth board of education in 1935, and converted to the A. M. Chisholm Memorial Children's Musuem which had been established in 1931 at the Salter School. The building was modified again to serve as a home for boys in this photograph. The museum changed its name and relocated to The Depot in downtown Duluth.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections