The 1893 First Methodist Episcopal church occupied the corner of Third Avenue West and Third Street in downtown Duluth until the congregation built the 1965 church building designed by architect Pietro Belluschi that everyone calls the Copper Top church at Skyline and Central Entrance. This brownstone structure closed in November 1966 and was razed in 1969.
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Exterior view of crane at the Brown Hall construction site with a dump truck parked nearby. Opened in 1960, Brown Hall contains classrooms and offices. Brown Hall is named after St. Cloud State president, Joseph Brown, who served from 1916 to 1927.
College of St. Benedict; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1958-1959, 1959-1960, College of St. Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota is an annual catalogue published for the College without including the Academy. During the period of 1926-1962, the college operated under auspices of St. Benedict�s Monastery before the College was separately incorporated in 1962. Contents include correspondence, table of contents, college calendar, general information, aims, history, accreditation and membership, location, buildings and grounds, library, information for new students, admission, application, educational plan, counseling and other student services, fees and expenses, financial information, student expenses, special fees, laboratory and course fees. Also included are scholarships and student aid, grants-in-aid, service contracts, academic information, academic regulations, registration, credits, class attendance, grading system and honor points, requirements for degrees, courses of study, divisional organization, course information, campus life and organizations, ideals, religious life, discipline, health and recreation, campus organizations, publications, leadership point system, faculty-student council, alumnae association, administration and faculty, board of advisers, administrative officers, educational policies committee, faculty and index.
This image shows a view of the St. Peter business district in 1958, looking to the north from a location at the intersection of Minnesota Avenue and Myrtle Street. This postcard negative, marked 1518, has been converted to a digital positive image.
The daily chapel service at Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was held in the former dining room and solarium of Passavant Hall, the past residence of the Charles Pillsbury family. In keeping with the rest of the Tudor style home, the refurbished chapel retained the original paneling, stained glass, and plank flooring. Seminary students of the period (1940-1967) remember fondly the beauty and uniqueness of these spaces. Back of photograph reads: NLTS chapel at S. Mpls site ca. 1960.
Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary was justly proud of its music and arts program including its choral activities. The choir recorded albums and toured regularly. Pictured conducting is Robert Paul Wetzler, director of the choir and noted sacred music composer and publisher. Later, Kathryn Ulvilden Moen, a professionally trained organist and choir director, would take on this dual role with great success. Back of photograph reads: Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary Choir, Minneapolis, Robert Paul Wetzler, director, Ray Hanson, manager.
This image shows a view of the front of the First Lutheran Church in St. Peter in 1958. The church, which was on the northwest corner of the intersection of Fourth and Elm Streets, facing Minnesota Square Park, was destroyed by a fire in 1962. This postcard negative, marked 5118, has been converted to a digital positive image.
This image shows a view of an addition to the First Lutheran Church in St. Peter in 1958. The church, which was on the northwest corner of the intersection of Fourth and Elm Streets, facing Minnesota Square Park, was destroyed by a fire in 1962. This postcard negative, marked 5108, has been converted to a digital positive image.
This Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary building was named for Dr. G. H. (George Henry) Gerberding, first president of the Northwest Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America and one of the four original Northwestern Lutheran Theological Seminary professors to leave Maywood Seminary, Chicago, in 1920. Gerberding Hall had been one of the Crosby family homes. The Crosby family was involved in the Minneapolis milling industry. Back of photograph reads: Gerberding Hall, late 50's, NLTS residence, [photo] #14.