References on map read: Duluth is laid out on the head of Minnesota Point under the Town Site Law of 1844 for George E. Nettleton, F.B. Culver, O.W. Rice, William Nettleton and R.E. Jefferson owner and occupants of Town Site. Avenues and Streets are 60 ft. wide, Blocks are 400 ft. long by 200 ft. deep, Lots are 40 ft. front and 100 ft. deep. Upper Duluth to the left and Lower Duluth to the right of Pine Street. Pier at Portage St. is 25 ft. wide the "T" is 140 ft. front. The stone monuments on Pine Street govern the survey. Richard Relf, Surveyor. Horizontal Scale 500 ft. 1 inch, Perpendicular 250 ft. 1 inch.
R.B. McLean came to Superior, Wisconsin, in June of 1854 on the schooner "Algonquin." McLean recollects several trips along Lake Superior's North Shore, both before and after the 1854 Treaty of LaPointe, searching for veins of copper. He discusses early settlers on the North Shore, the first election in St. Louis County in 1855, the first mail route from Superior to Grand Portage (which McLean delivered), and the first cabins built in Duluth in the winter of 1854-55.
This map of Duluth and the surrounding area as of 1865 was drawn by R.E. Carey based on old records and memoirs. The accompanying booklet, also by Carey, describes historical sites in Duluth, which are number coded on the map. Sites include early houses, a sawmill, a schoolhouse, an early brewery, the Vermilion Trail, and a stone quarry.
This photograph by Paul B. Gaylord and Edward A. Thompson shows the Clark House, Duluth's second hotel, which opened in July of 1870 on the 100 block of West Superior Street; it was destroyed by fire on November 16, 1881.