The Woman's Christian Association of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Annual Report, Woman's Christian Association - Reports of 1888-1889, detailing improvements to the boarding house of Jones-Harrison Residence, which was established in 1888 by the woman's Christian Association. The Jones-Harrison Residenced is believed to be Minnesota's longest continuously operating home to seniors.
An 1889 broadside issued by the St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba Railway (predecessor of the Great Northern Railway) containing a lithograph of a prosperous Marshall County, Minnesota farmstead. 3) Single-page broadside, printed, includes text and engraving, black ink on thin pale yellow paper, 9 x 26-in., fragile, but encapsulated in polyester.
The second annual report by the Board of Park Commissioners, for the year March 1, 1888, to February 28, 1889, includes lists of board officers, park commissioners, expenditures, lands acquired for public parks, rules and regulations of public parks, and laws relating to parks. This report also contains a reprint of the first annual report, a detailed listing of the flora of Como Park, a map of Como Park and Lake, and the transcripts of two addresses regarding vacant squares and Mississippi River Park delivered by H.W.S. Cleveland.
Several patients are recuperating in the 10-bed ward at Saint Marys Hospital. A large spittoon is located in the center of the room surrounded by beds and wooden dressers. A crucifix and religious paintings are hung on the wall. The two nurses are Sister Joseph Dempsey and Sister Constantine Poutal.
The first mayor of Duluth, Joshua B. Culver, was born on Sept. 12, 1829 in Armenia, New York. Culver first came to Duluth in the 1850s when he surveyed and plotted the town site. He fought for the Union in the American Civil War, where he rose to the rank of full colonel. He returned to Duluth and became a civic leader, elected as Duluth's first mayor after the community initially became a city in 1870. Culver was elected to a second term as mayor in 1882, but on July 17, 1883, he died while visiting Buffalo, New York. In addition to his role as mayor, Colonel Culver served Duluth as its first clerk of court, postmaster, and superintendent of schools, and founded the first steel plant. His portrait was painted by J.W. Trussler in 1889.
John B. Sutphin was the last mayor of the village of Duluth and the first mayor of the rebord city of Duluth. He was born in 1848 in New Jersey, and he arrived in Duluth at the age of 20. He was elected as village mayor in 1886 and reelected to the same office in the newly restored city of Duluth one year later. He presided over the construction of a new City Hall to celebrate the regained charter. During his time in office Sutphin began Duluth's sewer system and fire department in addition to improving city and harbor infrastructure. He was also involved in quelling citizen unrest with regards to labor issues. Sutphin died in 1908 of kidney failure; he was survived by his only son Robert and his wife Anna Louise Anderson.
Portrait of Iver P. Barsness and Ingebar Drevdahl Barsness. They emigrated from Norway in 1854 settling first near Madison, Wisconsin. In 1870, they were among the first settlers in Walden Township in Pope County.
Official catalog and visitors guide from the 1889 Fourth Annual Minneapolis Industrial Exposition, which showcased art and music, agricultural and horticultural sciences, and local sellers and manufacturers. Includes committee members and local attractions.
Hennepin County Library, James K. Hosmer Special Collections Library
This 1889 map of the Duluth area (including parts of St. Louis and Carlton counties in Minnesota and Douglas County in Wisconsin) was compiled and drawn from U.S. Land and Coast Surveys by R.H.L. Jewett. It was done at a scale of one inch to one mile, and includes roads, railroads, rivers, streams, and lakes.
Macalester College Contributions: Department of History, Literature and Political Science are a series of articles on varying American and European historical topics written by Edward Duffield Neill between the years 1889 and 1892. Number two of the first series consists of the article, "Notice of Books in Macalester Library with Handwritten Manuscript Annotations of Melancthon."
Group of people posed on the porch of the Geneva Beach Hotel. Emma C. Eddy(1), Baby Marjorie(2) and A.A. Eddy(3) (see numbers above heads on photo). A man is holding onto a penny-farthing bicycle. In 1896, J.L. Dickinson acquired the Alexandria Hotel at Geneva Beach from Mr. Letson, an early resort builder, and changed the name to the Geneva Beach Hotel. The hotel burned down on September 2, 1911.
The interior of Hasting Methodist Episcopal Church. Rev. Smith, (believed to be D. S. Smith) an early pastor of the M. E. church at Hastings. Picture showing church on Easter Day. First organized in 1856 the first church was built in 1861.
Minnesota Annual Conference United Methodist Church
Annual college catalog listing courses of study, admission requirements, general information, descriptions of departments, summary of students, map of the school's location, and lists of faculty and trustees. Includes information for both the Preparatory and Collegiate Departments, and "In Memoriam of The Reverence Daniel Rice, D.D."
Albumen print of a ferry crossing the Minnesota River between Shakopee and Eden Prairie. Seen in the image is a long wooden ferry nearing the bank of the river. Riding the ferry are three women and a man along with a man atop a horse. Visible in the background are concrete piers showing construction of the first Bloomington Ferry Bridge. Written along the top edge of the image is "New pier being built."
Schools in St. Cloud (1869-1909). The sister-faculty of Holy Angels Grade School in St. Cloud at the turn of the century are identified as follows: (seated left to right): Sisters Ignatia Huntsinger, Eleanor Irving, Ursula Hoffmann, Pauline Heller, Sybilla Vogel; (standing): Sisters Edwina Noessen, Basilia Cosgrove, Sophia Zimmer, Louise Walz. The parish records of the monthly tuition payments for the year 1897-98 list the following number of pupils for each teacher: (listed by room number; the word "grade" is not used; at first there were simply the upper and lower levels): Room 1, Sister Sybilla Vogel, 122; Room 2, Sister Pauline Heller, 78; Room 3, Sister Bonaventure Theisen, 77; Room 4, Sister Sophia Zimmer, 73; Room 5, Sister Louise Walz, 65; Room 6, Sister Eleanor Irving, 58; Room 7, Sister Ursula Hoffmann, 31; Room 8 (George Stelzle), 33. Judging by this record of the size of classes, one can surmise that the lower-level classes had half-day sessions and that in those early years, less than half of the students went beyond a sixth grade education (Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives ; McDonald, page 116; Voigt, page 39).
St. Benedict's Academy; Sisters of the Order of Saint Benedict
1889-1890 Eighth Annual Catalogue was published for the Academy of Saint Benedict, St. Joseph, Minnesota. Contents include calendar, description of institution, general rules of discipline, course of studies, fees, special rules, wardrobe regulations, clubs, lists of students and awards.
110 north fourth avenue west; house of Charles F. Johnson was built in 1881; the land cost $800; in 1890 it was enlarged and a stone foundation added by Nels Nelson; Snap the family's Irish setter; sold to Mr. Christie in 1907 and razed; site of Christie building
University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library, Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections
Catalog from the fourth exhibition organized by the Industrial Exposition Association, Minneapolis. Catalogue of paintings and casts from the antique, etc., 1889 Minneapolis Industrial Exposition. "Designed & engraved by the Ramsdell Eng. Co., Ches. F. Brisky"--Page 1 and 4 of cover. "Exhibits of the Minneapolis School of Fine Arts" (pages 23-30). Prices included with some items. Includes names of organizations and individuals that lent items to the exhibition. "Other local artists were included among the exhibitors at the Industrial Expositions, and in 1900 the Minneapolis Society of Fine Arts began holding its own annual exhibitions of American artists' works."--Conforti, Michael, editor. Minnesota 1900: art and life on the Upper Mississippi 1890-1915, 1994, page 98. 30, xxxii pages, 3 unnumbered leaves of plates: illustrations.
1888 annual report of the Board of Public Works of the City of St. Paul. This report tells the story of the development and use of the roads, sidewalks, sewers, gas lines and electricity. This information is gathered from primary resources of the period and goes into much detail. This reliable information is presented in reports, fold out statistical data sheets, maps, black and white photographs and sketches.