Bison bones were unearthed from a boggy area near a creek at Hansen Park in New Brighton by three boys, Steven Sullivan, Joe McHale, and Joe Evangelist. A neighbor, who was a geologist, identified the bones as from a bison, which lived sometime after the last glacier melted in the area some ten thousand years ago.
H.G. Laveral (right) and unidentified herdsman dipping a pig in lime and sulphur solution to control mange at the University of Minnesota, St. Paul campus. The poster in the background, produced by the University of Minnesota Extension Service, shows a hog louse and a hog mange mite.
Draft horse with a large fibroma tumor between its front legs. The horse was part of a continuing education clinic for veterinarians held at the St. Paul campus of the University of Minnesota in 1934..
Demonstration of an injection technique to anesthetize a cow for surgery at the Division of Veterinary Medicine in the College of Agriculture, University of Minnesota. The University provided ongoing training to Minnesota veterinarians in a series of "short courses" during the first half of the twentieth century. This photo was taken at a short course on surgery in 1931.
Undue influences by the railroad and sanitation problems forced the operation to close in 1901. After the packing industry left the New Brighton area, the pens were used for many years for feeding and watering livestock before they were shipped to Chicago, Illinois, or Sioux City, Iowa. Sheep pens are shown in this photo.
Hen coop of Dr. George Davis, Macalester Professor, near corner of what is now Summit Avenue and Macalester Avenue, St. Paul. Contributed by Richard Uriah Jones, Macalester College Class of 1901, and Macalester Head of Chemistry Department 1903-1941, and Dean of the College, 1917-1936.