The Record documents the formation of the Stillwater Library Association on Jun 7, 1859. The Constitution, a membership list and detailed meeting minutes including the election of officers and book acquisitions are meticulously recorded. The Stillwater Library Association was formed as a city library association in 1859, and the Stillwater Public Library still operates as a city library today.
Logs were shipped by rail from northern Minnesota to Stillwater and made into rafts. They were then floated down the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers. The rafts usually consisted of 8 to 10 strings of logs fastened side by side, each string measuring 16 across and about 400 feet long. Some of these enormous rafts stretched 4 or 5 acres in size.
At the boom, floating timbers chained between piers caught and contained logs for sorting and measuring and rigging into rafts. At one time, the Stillwater boom extended a distance of 9 miles and employed 400 men to sort, scale and raft timber.
Morgan May's handwritten farm journal from February 9, 1861, through April 14, 1871. Morgan May, a farmer from England, was the first settler in the part of Washington County, Minnesota, now known as May Township. His journal provides a detailed record of the day-to-day operation of a large commerical farm including entries about the weather, crops, livestock, farm hands, implement and household purchases, barn construction, wages, travel and visitors as well as personal comments.
Hand-drawn land surveys made from 1869-1941 to determine and identify land ownership and/or section boundaries in various parts of Washington County. The volume includes an index on pages 638-641 that lists each township and section and the pages in the volume on which information is provided. A transcript of that list accompanies this document and can be found at the beginning of this document.
The Stillwater Library Association's handwritten record book includes detailed meeting minutes from 1870 - 1896. Elections of officers, fundraising events, finances, book acquisitions, membership lists and day to day library business transactions are meticuluosly recorded.
Elevator and Lake Superior & Mississippi Depot, Stillwater, MN. Elevator was erected in 1870 and has a capacity of 38,000 bushels. Lake Superior & Mississippi Division of the Northern Pacific Railroad was completed to Stillwater in 1871.
The Stillwater Library Association's printed 1874 Catalogue of Books contains 535 titles in the areas of science, history and biography, travel and advenutre, fiction and miscellaneous. A list of library rules is also included in the catalogue.